Blues Calendar

What's playing on WVKR

http://wvkr.radioactivity.fm/feeds/last10.html

Reviews for November 2011


Ray Bailey,  Cruisin' for a Bluesin' (Tondef)*  Mr. Bailey is really a classic blues man, who still hasn’t gotten his due.  I love the guitar and organ interplay on Ho’s Heart (1), and the jazzy riffs on the title track (5).  His version of Goin’ Down Slow (11) ranks right up there. – NAD 11/11

Fiona Boyes, Blues for Hard Times (Vizztone).  Ms. Boyes first came to my attention in the Blues Guitar Women anthology as a hard blues rocker, but it turns out this Australian has a lot of other guises up her sleeve.  My favorite tracks here remind me of a 30’s acoustic blues queen: Guys Be Wise (3), No Friends (13), Maybe I Could Be Your Girl (8) and her tibute to Memphis Minnie: She Could Sure Play that Thing (11).

Jimmy Burns Band, Stuck in the Middle (Velrone).  Energetic Blues, served up for fun.   My picks are Cadillac (3), Early Morning Blues (6), and Foreigner’s (!) Cold as Ice (13), done as acoustic blues.


Omar Coleman, West Side Wiggle (Honeybee).  Classic sounding Harp-centered Chicago blues.  My picks are You Got a Hold On Me (1),  She’s Too Fast For Me (2), and I’m a Good Provider (6).

Etta James, The Dreamer (Verve).  The great Ms. James returns with soulful album full of pleasant surprises.  The best surprise is that despite her recent illness, she still sounds spectacular.   My favorite tracks are the slow ones that showcase that voice: Misty Blue (5), Cigarettes and Coffee (7), That’s the Chance You Take (10) and Let me Down Easy (11).  –NAD 11/11

Kilborne Alley, Four (Blue Bella)*  Continuing their unpretentious ways, but with a broader soundscape.  I like the easy going soul of Change My Ways (3),  and You Were My Woman (5) and the fast-paced blues of 22nd Street (6) and Dressed Up Messed Up (10).  –NAD 11/11


Hope Waits, Hope Waits (Spann). Lovely, smoky voice and a soulful band re-think some classics and lesser known gems like Mother-in-Law Blues (3), Drown in My Own Tears (5) and I’ll be Satisfied (2).  Don’t miss the psychedelic blues of Get Behind the Mule (4).  NAD 11/11.

Comments